Home        About Us        Media        Ministries        Contact Us       
The History of Tate
Tate Baptist Church Celebrated its 100th anniversary on July 1, 2007. Constituted as a church in 1907, the early members built a white, wooden house of worship on land donated by the Adams Machine Company of Corinth on Tate Street. In its early years, worship services were held one Sunday per month with a Sunday School meeting every Sunday. By 1916, Tate Street Baptist Church was having a worship service every Sunday morning . In 1921 the church had a membership of 121 and enlarged its building to include electric lights ,fans, a baptistry , and eight classrooms. During the 1930s a basement was constructed to provide more classroom, a nursery, and fellowship space.

In 1948 Tate street began Construction of a new brick sanctuary. The original building continued to be used for educational space until an early-morning fire destroyed it in 1955. The following year a two story educational building was completed and the total membership had increased to 460. It was in 1958 that Tate Street added a second full-time staff with Wyndale Sullivan coming as Minister of Music and Youth.

During the 1980s, plans were made to relocate Tate Street Baptist Church. Continued growth, a changing neighborhood, and limited property contributed to the decision to purchase 15 acres on the proposed North Harper Road for a new church site. In 1992 Tate Baptist Church continued to grow and minister to the city of Corinth and Alcorn County. In 2007 Tate began to construction of a new multi-purpose facility. Known as the Tate Ministry Center, This facility contains a gym, permanent, meeting place for children’s worship known as The Zone, education space for children, youth, and young adults, an exercise room, dining hall, and commercial kitchen, and a large youth assembly room with stage and sound equipment.


 

Web Design by ShadeTreeSolutions.NET